Facts, Figures and Statistics
Facts about Apprenticeships*
Did you know…
- Some of the country’s top employers are offering Apprenticeships to help give young people the best start in their career.
- After finishing, 90% of apprentices stay in employment (including 2% self-employed), with 71% staying with the same employer.
- A quarter of former apprentices (23%) had been promoted within 12 months of finishing their Apprenticeship.
- 89% of apprentices are satisfied with their Apprenticeship.
- 85% of apprentices said their ability to do the job had improved, and 83% of apprentices said their career prospects had improved.
- On average, individuals with an advanced Apprenticeship earn between £77,000 and £117,000 more over their lifetime than similar individuals with Level 2 qualifications.
- Those completing a Higher Apprenticeship could see increased earnings of an estimated £150,000 over their lifetime.
- 19% of advanced apprentices progress to higher education over time following their Apprenticeship, either at a college or university.
Facts about employers*
Did you know…
- Employers say that qualified apprentices are 15% more employable than those with other qualifications.
- There were more than 250,000 employer workplaces with an apprentice in 2014/15.
- 89% of employers reported that Apprenticeships helped their business improve the quality of their product or service.
- 82% of employers say they are satisfied with the Apprenticeship programme and 70% report that Apprenticeships improved the quality of their product or service.
- Apprenticeships boost productivity to businesses by on average £214 per week.
- Apprenticeships enable businesses to grow their skills base resulting in increased profits, lower prices and better products.
Facts about Apprenticeships and the economy*
- 2.4 million Apprenticeships were started in England during the last Parliament.
- The government invested £1,559,771 in apprenticeships during the 2014/15 academic year.
- Apprenticeship participation now stands at a record level: 871,800 funded apprentices in 2014/15.
- Apprenticeships are available in 1,500 job roles, covering more than 170 industries.
- More than 1300 employers are involved in designing the new Apprenticeships standards.
- Up to 28,000 quality Apprenticeship vacancies are available online at any one time.
*Sources: National Apprenticeships Week 2016 - Toolkit for schools, colleges and training providers
There has never been a better time to employ an apprentice, or start an apprenticeship!